A retiree of a milk producing company in Lagos, Roy Davies, 54, has comitted suicide two days after a treatment on his left eye went awry, reports Punchng.
Davies, who lived on Oyegbemi Street, Amukoko, Lagos State, reportedly took substance suspected to be Sniper – an insecticide – in the early hours of Saturday.
Davies had gone for an eye treatment at a centre on Adeola Odeku Street, Victoria Island, on Thursday. After the treatment, he could not reportedly see with the eye again. He was said to have been discharged from the centre on Friday.
The deceased’s only child, Nancy, a 22-year-old primary school teacher, stated that her father complained of pains and loss of vision when she called him on Thursday to know his condition.
Nancy said she was shocked when Davies told her it would take months before he could regain his vision. She said, “He said a bandage was put on his left eye after the treatment and that the doctor told him it would take six months before he could see properly.
He said he was in pains and needed my prayer. I prayed for him. While I was washing clothes on Saturday, my husband approached me and said, ‘The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away.’ I asked him to tell me what happened. He said my father had killed himself.”
She said her father’s death might not be unconnected with the complication arising from the eye treatment, adding that her father did not lack funds.